What is CPAP Therapy?
CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure and is the leading therapy used for treating sleep apnea. This therapy helps to keep your airway open by gently pushing air through a mask while you sleep. This eliminates the breathing pauses that occur with sleep apnea. Sleeping with CPAP prevents you from snoring or choking, and you’ll be able to sleep through the night without waking up from a lack of oxygen.
5 Benefits of Using a CPAP Machine
Aside from treating sleep apnea, there are other benefits to using CPAP:
- Cardiovascular Health: Sleeping disorders can often manifest in different conditions, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and even stroke. Treating your sleep apnea with CPAP can help prevent or diminish those conditions.
- Prevent Hearing Loss: Some studies have shown a connection between hearing loss and sleep apnea. A CPAP machine prevents a person from snoring, which can then prevent damage from occurring and result in the loss of your hearing.
- Sleep Better: Not only can CPAP help you achieve a higher quality of sleep, but it can also help your partner sleep better throughout the night since they won’t be woken up by snoring or choking.
- More Energy: Getting a whole night of uninterrupted sleep allows you to take on the day fully rested with more energy than you previously experienced.
- Diabetes Prevention: Sleep apnea has been related to glucose intolerance and insulin resistance, both of which are factors in Type 2 diabetes. Using a CPAP machine as a treatment can reduce the chances of getting Type 2 diabetes.
Tips to Using Your Machine
It may take a while for you to get used to your machine. Here are some tips that may help you acclimate faster:
- Start by using your machine for short periods during the day while watching TV or reading.
- Make your machine part of your nightly routine. It’s crucial to use CPAP every time you sleep, including if you take a nap. Doing so increases the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Make any adjustments needed to ensure that your mask is a good fit.
Come into Marx Sleep Center to Find Out if CPAP is Right for You!
Sleep apnea is a frustrating and literally exhausting condition that affects about 1 in 15 people. Many are still undiagnosed. Our sleep center was created to help those suffering from sleep disorders so that they can live fulfilling lives.
Call us today to schedule your free consultation, 816-287-2912!